Let’s holiday up a classic dessert and give it a whole new look.
Our regional chef, Kyle Muhlbach, puts a twist on the traditional crème brûlée with candy canes to give it a peppermint kick. You can always count on Chef Kyle for a laugh and fun but when it comes to cooking, he gets serious and this dessert is seriously delicious.
Try this at home:
3 ½ cups heavy cream
6 egg yolks
½ cup sugar
12 candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Place candy canes into a food processor and chop until a powder.
3. Place your cream in a pot with half of the candy cane powder and heat until it simmers ad dissolves the candy cane.
4. Whisk the egg yolk and sugar until pale yellow.
5. Slowly whisk the cream mixture into the egg yolks. If you add too fast you will scramble the eggs so whisk vigorously and add the cream slowly.
6. Evenly distribute the mixture into the ramekins.
7. Place cups evenly on a baking sheet and pour 3 cups hot water into the baking dish around the cups, this will prevent them from cracking.
8. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, the edges should be set with a slight jiggle in the centre when shaken.
9. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature in water bath.
10. Once cool refrigerate for at least 4 hours before using.
11. When ready to eat, evenly sprinkle remaining crushed candy cane over each brûlée.
12. For best results use a crème brûlée torch to melt the sugar to desired doneness or use the broiler setting in your oven until brown.
Yields 6 6oz ramekins